TB: Historic Unknown

  • Subject: [iris-photos] TB: Historic Unknown
  • From: Mickey Corley mcorley@compuserve.com
  • Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 07:34:43 -0400

Message text written by INTERNET:iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
"Judy Hunt" <judyhunt1@bellsouth.net> - 25 Apr 2003

>Our daughter bought her first house last fall.  She loves flowers, iris in
particular (we reared her right).  There is an iris in bloom now in her
yard and, of course, its identity is unknown.  I looked through the HIPS
photos and found a couple that it might be -- Gudrun and New Snow.  Does
anyone have an opinion as to what it is?  I will send two more photos in
another email.

<

Judy,

I can't send you a photo as New Snow has lost her identification tag.  I
have a picture taken from a catalog that I tried to scan and send but it
picked up the color the paper has faded to and was terrible.  It does not
have any veining or color visible in the  picture.  It also has ruffled
edges on both falls and standards.  (Now mind you, In 1960 when I purchased
this the ruffling wasn't anything like it is today.

This is the description (taken from the same catalog)

NEW SNOW - ( Fay 1946) - Pure white; the only color it has is a full bright
yellow beard.  Large ruffled flowers with no venations on tall sturdy
stalks.  (HM 1946; AM 1958) - ML 38"

The last time my records showed it bloomed was May 4, 1998

Since your Historic Unknown does have yellow & veining on it, I don't think
it is New Snow.

Mickey Corley
Bethany, OK - Center of Oklahoma, USA
Zone 5/6