Re: Doctor No

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Doctor No
  • From: "Patrick Orr" <irisdude@msn.com>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2004 21:36:09 -0700
  • Seal-send-time: Sun, 4 Apr 2004 21:36:09 -0700

Hi Sterling and others,

Doctor No is registered as a space-age iris.

I went out and checked each flower, and they all have horns on them, and pretty consistent on each bloom as well, although each bloom may vary slightly from another.  One of them has extended fuzzy horns, but most just come to a short point.

Branching and bud count vary from place to place and from judge to judge.  Since you are asking ME, and I am not a judge yet, but am working on it, I would say this variety has had good branching for me.  I am sorry to say that I forgot to count the blooms, but I did pollinate two flowers before this photo (which did not take), and there were four blooming in the photo, and I believe I remember more buds under one in the photo that I pollinated this morning, so there is at least your minimum of 7. On another stalk, one of my crosses took, and a pod has formed, so I know this is definitely pod fertile.

The branching on this stalk was quite wide, but another stalk that is up is more narrow.

As far as substance is concerned, these flowers survived a couple torrential downpours of rain we had the previous day.

Patrick