  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: KOKO KNOLL
  • From: "Sharon McAllister" <arilbredbreeder@cs.com>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 06:02:48 -0000

--- In iris-photos@yahoogroups.com, Laurie Flynn <amnemachin@y...> wrote:
> I was wondering if you (or someone else out there) wouldn't mind
giving me a brief review of the aril terminology - aril, arilbred,
OGB, OGB+, etc...  I've seen it before, but haven't retained it.  Do
you know which type is Esther?

Last question first:  ESTHER,THE QUEEN is an OGB in the current system.

An aril has only aril species as ancestors, while an arilbred has both
aril species and non-aril species.

Some people readily memorize the codes.  Others have developed charts
that explain them.  I find it easier to describe the codes in terms of
"building blocks".

For the arils:
O or C = Oncocyclus Ancestry
R or G = Regelia Ancestry
H = Hybrid

O = Oncocyclus species
OH = Oncocyclus Hybrid
R = Regelia species
RH = Regelia Hybrid
OG = Oncocyclus and Regelia, but predominantly oncocyclus
RC = Regelia and Oncocyclus, but predominantly regelia

That's six categories, and for simplicity's sake I'll skip what makes
something predominantly oncocyclus or regelia.

Moving on to the arilbreds:
O = Oncocyclus Ancestry
R or G = Regelia Ancestry
B = Bearded Ancestry

OB = both onco & bearded ancestors, but no regelias
RB = both regelia & bearded ancestors, but no oncos
OGB = Onco, regelia, and bearded ancestors.

That's just three categories -- but there's a modifier that breaks
them down further into nine subcategories.  A minus sign means that
something has at least 1/4 but less than 1/2 aril ancestry.  No sign
means that it is exactly 1/2 aril.  A plus sign means that it is more
than 1/2 aril.

The codes are sometimes confusing because the classification systems
have changed down through the years.  If you consult the 1969 AIS
Checklist, you'll see that ESTHER, THE QUEEN was registered as an AR.
 That was the code used at the time for anything 1/2 or more aril.
When the more detailed system was adopted, she became an OGB -- a
1/2-bred with onco, regelia, and bearded ancestry.  When the current
system was adopted, her code didn't change.

KOKO KNOLL, in contrast, was registered as an OGB+.  The detailed
codes were in effect at the time, but aril content was computed using
the quantum system so it was considered more than 1/2 aril.  It is a
functional halfbred, however, so is an OGB under the current system.

Sharon McAllister

Yahoo! Groups Links