  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] SCOTCH GOLD
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 18:49:12 -0500

OGB type AB.  Peterson '80.  Bill Burleson mentioned variability in
appearance of arilbreds.  I can't think of a better example than this one.
This clump is still growing in the same spot since it's arrival,
undisturbed.  It has never looked the same in any season.  It has been in
the past a dull, unmarked paper sack color.  That was it's first year and I
wasn't too impressed.  Then it bloomed a golden amber (like scotch!), smooth
and rich.  I used the pollen.  Then it bloomed golden amber brown with some
streaking.  Nothing last year.  Never before has it been yellow.  Nor have I
ever seen the signal area before!  I'm glad to see it.  Now I know where
those TENNESSEE GENTLEMAN seedlings via the pollen came up with the unusual
markings.  I know climate conditions affect the appearance of some ABs and
this has been one of them.  Since I don't tend to have two springs alike, I
may be in for more surpises.  But I was really surprised today.  I don't
think I even guess it as the same cultivar I first saw bloom.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7b, USA

Yahoo! Groups Links

JPEG image