Re: Re: Yellow Glaciata Seedling 3800-M

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Re: Yellow Glaciata Seedling 3800-M
  • From: "J. Paul Hill" <lacedgables@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 03:32:25 -0700 (PDT)

Dan:  Sorry for the typos on the response below.  I typically look into this site when I get up and have had only my first cup of coffee.....That said I'm interested in what you seem to saying about "lemon-Ices".  I always thought that it is the same thing as a glaciata...could you elaborate on what you are getting at.  Certainly I'm very interested in seeing what could come of this plant with crosses.  I would expect to get some yellows or pinks or oranges because as I understand it that is the range that would come from a glaciata....The  cross to make this was (Chubby Cheeks x Fancy Woman) and the cross that made the pink Luminata seedling (posted below) that I crossed the glaciata to is ((Queen in Calico x Sky Hooks)x Fancy Woman)  The seedling of (Queen in Calico x Sky Hooks) is a hafty bright orange with a red beard and shows horns at times.  Though I'm not as interested in horned flowers as I once was, this seedling has given me a lot of interesting seedlings.  Very few of them with horns....I'll include the photo of this one as well.   The seedling 2000-S has very clear luminata markings that fade quite a bit after it has been open a few hours.  I include a new and an older photo to show you.  I hope the seed from the cross (3800-M x 200-S) germinates well.....Still I will think seriously about selfing the glaciata seedling, but my luck with self crosses has not been very successful with other clones and I usually avoid them....
Paul

Dan Meckenstock <dmeck@eaglecom.net> wrote:
Dan's Reply:

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm not sure the lemon ice has been
identified genetically, that's why I am interested in this seedling.
If you have the time/garden space, I'd like to suggest you self
pollinate 3800-M this Spring. I'd like to know if it throws any
white, cream, pink, or orange flowered plants. This would go a long
way in clasifying it.

The pink cross will be interesting, but you will not know which
parent is contributing the color if you get something other than
yellow or pink. If you get some whites out of the pink x yellow
cross you made last year, then there is hope you can develop the
line to get darker/deeper yellows/pinks. What other colors are in
your pink ground luminata? You could be in for a surprise if you
opened up the anthocyanin pathway.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here

Do you Yahoo!?