surprise sdlg

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] surprise sdlg
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 12:37:46 -0500

One of my eccentric crosses.  I've never considered introducing or obtaining
anything to introduce.  I operate solely for my own enjoyment and to satisfy
my curiosity.  This is a good example.  The cross is ROSEMOHR X ESTHER, THE
QUEEN.  I acquired R because of its pedigree.  I guessed that it might be an
aneuploid because its parents are similar to parents of cultivars that have
been counted as aneuploid.  Of course I don't/can't know.  But the idea was
to see if I got something I wouldn't have expected.  This is.  Clearly
showing it's aril heritage, it's blooming on a snaky stalk with two
branches.  Even with my affinity and appreciation for old irises, R wouldn't
have made the grade here.  I really didn't care for it and on its own would
have been relocated to someone else's property or the compost pile.  It's
exceedingly strappy even for its age and no special quality to give it the
character that sets an iris apart.  But it did have that pedigree.  I have
one more from the cross that will bloom later today or tomorrow.  By
assessing that bud I'm going to get a similar result - we'll see.  What fun!

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7b, USA

Yahoo! Groups Links

JPEG image