Aging Arilbreds

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] Aging Arilbreds
  • From: arilbredbreeder@cs.com
  • Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 13:53:57 EDT

The effect is relatively subtle in this case, but I've chosen it because it involves both anthocyanins [violet family] and carotenes [yellows].  The flower on the right has been open for just over a day and so has fully expanded to its typical form.  The one on the left has been open four days and is starting to lose a bit of substance to the drying effect of the week's winds.

Starting with the golden yellow of the style arms -- I detect no significant change, but the rosy flush along the midrib has faded.  The yellowed ivory ground color of the standards has also held, along with the very fine golden-yellow veins.  The falls, however, appear much more yellow in the older flower.  That's not because the yellow itself has intensified but because the rosy-violet blush has burned off.

BTW -- this has not been introduced but is a seedling still on my "watch list".

Sharon McAllister

Yahoo! Groups Links