Re: offlist questions

Linda Mann wrote:
I've gotten offlist questions from a couple of people recently asking
about how to post photos - I'm not the best person to ask.  I suggest
you post your questions here first, where more experienced folks can
take a stab at helping.

Most recent one was how to post non-digital photos.  I haven't a clue.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

I haven't seen any on list suggestions So here are some basics for any that are interested.

Yes non-digital images have to be scanned but scanners are cheap.

Iranview 3.8 is FREE from www.iranview.com.  It includes the basics such as cropping and red eye. The resizing function is easy allowing custom resizing by dpi pixels cms or inches. It also has a simple half or double size button or 640 x 480, 800 x 600 etc buttons. The "save as" function allows you to keep digital photo info such as xpif etc.

The "save as" function is where you find the very important "Quality " slider the lower the setting the higher the compression and smaller the file size. Start with resizing your photo to 4x6 or 3x5 at 300 dpi. Save as with a quality setting of 40 and check the  saved file size. Adjust as necessary. Netiqutte considers 49kb as a courtesy.

Higher DPI with lower quality compression is recommended over over low dpi and higher quality compression.

Make a folder for the images you are going to post so they are easy to find when you hit the attach button in your email program.

Michael M. Stockton Ca. trying to make iris - photos later.

Yahoo! Groups Links