Re: Furioso & IB fertility

  • Subject: [PHOTO] Re: [iris-photos] Furioso & IB fertility
  • From: "J. Paul Hill" <lacedgables@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 19:11:39 -0700 (PDT)

I need to add just one more thought.  It's more likely to work if you use the IB as the pod parent.  The chance that the cross will take is much better.  The chance that there are functional gametes is greater. It is understood that germination of the stigma is activated by the presence of other viable pollen grains near by.  A large quantity of IB pollen is probally not viable, but on the other hand if good pollen is put to the stigma of the IB with only a few ovaries that are fertile, those fertile ones will take.  They will have germination problems and progress will be slow with this avenue, but as I stated below, it's about learning.  Even if you don't get a great flower, what you do get will allow you to understand the process better.  Most of my IB x SDB crosses have poor branching....kind of bunched...I'll show one here......pretty, but terrible tight branches....
Of course the seedling I've include here was of spaceage decent and that could be part of the mutation problem, but if you look closly you can see that the bloom to the left has four petals and the bloom on the right has bunched branching.  Sorry that I don't have a better photo, but it was the only photo I took before I trashed it.....Still I keep trying the IB x SDB crosses though.  Trying to get horns on the SDB.  I see that others have been more successful than I......Still, it's the curious nature of me to wonder what if.  Paul Hill
"J. Paul Hill" <lacedgables@yahoo.com> wrote:
Will:  I have made many SDB x TB crosses and found many of my own IB's fertile at times.  One year I'd get nothing from a particular plant and on the next year I'd have several pods.  They will be fertile with some cultivars and not others.  It's a very touchy and spotty thing.  The photo I'll include here is an IB that was (Triffid x Chanted) and is fertile when it wants to be.  Marky Smith wrote a wonderful article in the AIS bulletin a few years ago on what she found as fertile IB's.  Not sure what Issue, but it is worth looking up.  Really the only way to do it is to just start trying.  I have yet to get seedlings worth the effort, but really the reason I do it is to learn.  You don't know until you do it and you could easily be surprised.  Some of the most unexpected seedlings have produced the best results.
     And Yes, Furioso is an IB.   Paul Hill