Re: RUSTLER X SATAN'S MISTRESS

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] RUSTLER X SATAN'S MISTRESS
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 07:07:00 -0500

Patrick,

>I love the color...and I know it is much better in person.

The color is good, but what interests me is the velvet finish on the standards.  Using SATAN'S MISTRESS on any red, dark purple or purple plic gives a lot of WOW color seedlings.  The intense, saturated color is something it passes along readily.  Form is often missing and substance can be, but isn't always.  This one could use more substance and better branching, but I found the form acceptable.  Unfortunately I've never gotten SM to work with the arilbreds before, though I have finally got three pods this year after years of trying.  It also wouldn't set pods with ABs, only TBs.  So I haven't tried to use it with an ultra modern cultivar or worked with the resulting seedlings.  A lot are still hanging around here because of the color.  There're six seedlings from a Wal-Mart STEPPING OUT (looked right) X SM that have the nicest purple color I've ever seen.  No haft marks, just a pure rich saturated purple, even the beards.  They bloom prolifically and have good branching on a form that would fit into the 60s vintage.  Also some nice colors from LADY FRIEND, FASHION PASSION and VIBRATIONS in the red, red/black and red/brown range.  I think a lot will have to go this year.  I need their space now.

Donald

Yahoo! Groups Links