  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: ROSEMOHR
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" <neilm@charter.net>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 23:17:47 -0400

Donald, that is just about the form proportions for falls and standards of the Ormohr I once grew.  I'm glad you posted the photo.
After you told me what to look for, I finally found the post of the first Rosemohr X Esther, the Queen seedling only under the "Author" sort.  I usually read the posts sorted by date, and that post simply does not appear when I sort in that matter.  Somehow I missed the thread in its early stages entirely--and I thought I had read all of the posts.  The strongly aril character, especially of the second seedling (which I *can* find and read in the "by date" sort), is especially interesting, and your comments and those of Sharon McAllister were edifying and quite interesting.
Your comment later about why interest in going further with crosses of the Mohrs dying out around 1960 because of the circulation of the CGW's was very much to the point.  I introduced one Capitola seedling 'Sigrid' about then, but made no further crosses with Capitola after that as I was busy dabbing pollen back and forth among the various CGW's I had. I think Keith Keppel's introduction of 'Nineveh' was a bit earlier, but I've seen no more along this line from him.  He and I traded some comments about using Capitola (or Ib-mac) with some of the modern TB's.  Some rather showy things might result. Noone has done this that I know of, however.  I certainly haven't.
The CGW's were far more to my liking than the Mohrs ever had been.  I never liked the virus splashing much however.  I am glad to see current introductions rarely are so heavily marked as those I grew.
One of my favorites was Tatai Pasha, and recently I ran across it offered for sale.  I was tempted for old times sake to send for it, but resisted the urge.  It is time to move on, not go back into history.  I would hate to see all of those early OGB's of that nature to disappear, as have most of the Mohrs.  But I cannot devote the space to contribute to that endeavor.  I can find noone who is still growing--at least under name--the two I registered in weak moments.  I wish I still had them.  Too much time has passed.
No wonder you were puzzled by my subsequent comments.  The discussion between you and Sharon McAllister is one I want to copy over to a more durable file to reread a few times.  It is full of information about which I am more than a little interested.  Where I was while this was flying by on Iris photos I cannot imagine.  Somewhere in some Twilight Zone, I suppose.  I had no idea I had missed it.
I tried again with the "by date" sort and the entry is still not there--or I just cannot see it.  My wife says I could never find a pair of socks for myself without help, however.  I can look straight at something and swear it isn't there.  I am particularly glad I am the only person in the whole human race who is like this (tongue in cheek, rather far protruding).
The early objective of producing more onco-like bloom on plants that will tolerate and thrive in more ordinary garden conditions has been realized to a far greater degree than I had ever believed possible.  I look at these photos you, Betsy Higgins and some others have posted and enjoy them enormously.  Thanks for going to the effort to share all this beauty.
Neil Mogensen  z  7  western NC mountains.  (SDB's are beginning to bloom here. Finally.  I've got tweezers, tags and pen all ready as the first TB to show color showed it yesterday)

Yahoo! Groups Links