Re: WILLIAM MOHR

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: WILLIAM MOHR
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" <neilm@charter.net>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 22:36:26 -0400

Rbert, your photo does not resemble either WILLIAM MOHR or CAPITOLA as I knew them.  I would suggest, if this is an OB at all, it is (quantum referent--sorry) not more than a quarter and possibly less.

WILLIAM MOHR is short, has strongly recurved foliage, has almost the pattern identical to some forms of *gatesii* and is one that requires--or at least seems to enjoy--annual division and reset.  Losses of either it or CAPITOLA plantings tend to be high, but the varieties can be kept going with patience and frequent division--annual being best in my experience.

CAPITOLA is a great deal larger plant than WILLIAM MOHR, also has strongly OB character and the suggestion of a "fingerprint'" type signal.  Pollen production is copious on some blossoms, totally lacking on others, and the stem tends to "S" curve all over the place.  WILLIAM MOHR does not do this.  It is short, but upright, with quite a large bloom of globular form as I recall.

Neil Mogensen  z 7  western NC mountains

Yahoo! Groups Links