Re: Let's talk about green

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] Re: Let's talk about green
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@erols.com>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 13:08:11 -0400

Here's the little critter I was talking about in the message (below) sent about a week ago.  These are its true colors.  As may be seen, the "eyes" are chartreuse.  As may also be seen, the flower at upper right has much more white and much less yellow than the other two blooms.  Yet, all three are the same seedling.  About a third of the flowers in this large clump are the whiter sort.  Also, many of the whiter sort are, indeed, thinner in substance and not as well formed as the more yellow ones --  but not all!   I had 18 seedlings from this cross  --  BLITZ x HAVEN  --  and, so far, have never been able to get a cross involving any of them.  Weather?  This year, the weather is good, and I have made many more crosses, so we'll see if it's weather or infertility.

Another interesting fact about this cross is that it was made by a bee or other insect.  Then how do I know that HAVEN was the pollen parent?  Because HAVEN was the only other iris blooming at the same time.  But how do I know it wasn't BLITZ selfed?  Because -- and here comes the great part  --  HAVEN has a distinctive fragrance, and so do some of these seedlings!  So, let's not forget to give fragrance its due. --  Griff