That's a borer...

  • Subject: [iris-photos] That's a borer...
  • From: "J. Paul Hill" <lacedgables@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 04:16:31 -0700 (PDT)

Adam:   That's a borer!  I hope you keep a look out in your other Iris from now on, because if you don't you could loose some. When you catch them at this point, tear/cut off the fan at the top of the rhizome.  Open the fan at the base.  There usually is a slim that fills the inside of the bottom of the fan.  Holes, slim, eggs...these will all tell you for sure that you've got a problem.  I've seen 'em before and that's a borer.  The little buggers are carnivorous so usually by the time they've gotten about 1/2 inch long there is only one left per rhizome, but look closely!  I never use chemicals to treat them, just this search and destroy method, but it takes time and clever observation....It's best to keep a tidy garden, as clean as you can....Good luck!   Paul Hill

acordes@freeway.net wrote:

Here is a photo of my clump of JURASSIC PARK (not yet in bloom). Besides the bunny chew marks, do you see the hole in the leaf? There is no tunneling down the leaf, so I'm wondering if this is a borer hole or not.

Adam
Region 6
Zone 4.5

Organize, print and share your digital photos.
Click here to get the software.

How to save a picture
Simply right click on it and select "save image as." MAC users, click and drag the image to your desktop.

Copyright © Eastman Kodak Company, 2003

Do you Yahoo!?

Yahoo! Groups Links