Re: TB: Merle Roberts Seedling 01-141A/camera

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] TB: Merle Roberts Seedling 01-141A/camera
  • From: oneofcultivars@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 21:42:13 EDT

In a message dated 4/30/2004 6:29:14 PM Central Daylight Time, amnemachin@yahoo.com writes:

I'm sure you've been asked this, and answered it before, but would you mind telling what you use for a camera, film, software, any other tips/tricks/secrets?   :
)

There is no substitute for just taking a lot of pictures and doing deep knee bends.

That being said, I use a Sony Cyber-shot 3.3 megapixel camera and take all pictures at the highest resolution level. Most of the time I photo in macro mode and use the spot metering feature of the camera but also sometimes take photos not using the macro mode and still use the spot metering feature. I move the metering point about on the bloom attempting to find the point that give the most accurate color depiction on the LCD screen. I prefer to under expose the picture when it is taken. Then when resizing the picture ( I use PhotoStudio) I adjust for the underexposure. This often allows the flower to be brightened to the point it stands out but the background remains dark or at least unobtrusive.

I mostly prefer a three quarter view taken at eye level. This is where the deep knee bends come in. Most irises are just not tall enough so I must either do deep knee bends to get to their level or get on my knees. I start out doin' knee bends. By the end of the day I am usually gettin' on my knees.

God said it was good to to get on your knees but I'm not sure he was talkin' bout takin' pictures. But He also told me it didn't make any difference why you got there, it's what you do next thats important. That helps too.

Smiles,
Bill Burleson

Yahoo! Groups Links