RE: put a sock on it

  • Subject: RE: [iris-photos] put a sock on it
  • From: "FRANCELLE EDWARDS" fjmjedwards@worldnet.att.net
  • Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 20:22:46 -0700

I really hope the forecasters are wrong, Donald.  Here my problem is the opposite of yours.  Temperatures on Sunday are predicted to be 90 degrees F.  That kind of heat with single digit humidity  makes pollination nearly impossible.  It seems to keep pollen from forming in the developing stalks and buds.  Some of the ones I want most to use haven’t started their stalks yet, so I fear a repeat of last year.  When they finally get around to blooming, there will be no pollen.

While the weather has been good I’ve been busy putting pollen on everything, even first year seedlings, and I seem to be getting a few takes.

Francelle Edwards  Glendale, AZ  Zone 9