Re: HYB: pigments

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: HYB: pigments
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" neilm@charter.net
  • Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 10:05:33 -0400

Fascinating, Chuck.
Just curious.  Do you know of a "kitchen chemistry way" to distinguish between alpha-Carotene and the beta form?
I also recall seeing something in one of your posts about beta, but not alpha, present with Lycopene in pinks.  I took a good look at the very limited, and long outdated but still useful, list of what pigments are noted in a number of varieties.
The pinks in the list had no alpha, but did have beta along with lycopene.  I believe I did see an exception in the list, but a minor one.
Seems to me I recall you saying your understanding of "t" was that alpha-Carotene was the part of the Carotenoid series associated with (is absent when the flower has) the presence of "t."  That fits in with some things I am seeing elsewhere if it is true.
Neil Mogensen  z 7 Reg 4 western NC mountains

Yahoo! Groups Links