RE: pigment Extraction

I have frozen flowers but havn't pulled them out for exrtraction. I was told
that the anthocyanin would deteriorate if temperature was above -40C (same F)
. the stuff in the freezer still seems to have its colour.
I have information that suggests drying with silica gel works fairly good for
a lot of material. I have't checked it, but the compounds being looked at
wasn't anthocyanins.

The sequence of production of carotenes involves lycopene before
beta-carotene. Mostly the yellows in iris is beta-carotene but also alpha and
gama and flavanones.
Beta-carotene is yellow-orange, alpha-carotene is greenish-yellow. Side by
side they are obvious. I keep samples of both in oil for comparison. They
havn't shown any deterioration ater a year. The anthocyanin deterorates
fairly quickly, although some will last a fair time. Some hydochloric acid
(sometimes can be purchased as high powered drain cleaner or as a concrete
etcher, under name muratic acid which is comercial name)

There seems to be some evidence of a dual channel for carotene production.
but I want to look into this further. that is the lycopene step can sometimes
be bupasseed for some carotene production.

I have gotten beta-carotene and lycopene together. Red beards seem to have
both. When carotene is extracted, you have a pink beard. Every beard I have
tried seems this way. Pink seems to have a maxamum intensity and to go from
pink to red requires carotene. Same with red tomatoes. They have
beta-carotene and lycopene. Varies from 40/60 to 60/40 or there abouts. I
posted a picture last year of my tomato extract. Yes the lycopene makes
tomatoes red, but not without the carotene. Ad this is without the super
saturation in tomatoes brought about by the chlorophyll converting to
carotenes.

The yellow in MDB is mostly flavanoids. This has to do with Anthocyanin
Vascular Intrusion cell structural change. With this cell structure , the
flavanoids is pulled into the cytoplasm and bound to proteins and has extra
concentration. Markham , who discovered all this , felt that flavanoid only
could provide flower colour this way but I'm, not as certain of this as he
was. I think I see pale yellow iris with flavanoids and a bright yellow when
flavanoid is in a AVI cell.

Still much speculation and a wide open field.

Chuck Chapman

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.