Re: life's cruel sometimes

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] life's cruel sometimes
  • From: oneofcultivars@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 12:23:06 EDT

In a message dated 4/6/2005 10:38:28 AM Central Daylight Time, Autmirislvr@aol.com writes:

Don, try to set a pod on it.  Then feed it and water it and pretend it's still viable?  Sometimes you can TRICK them into putting up new increase.

I think the setting of the pod not conducive to maximum increase potential.
One method that does work sometimes is to remove the central fan and stalk from the rhizome at the point they join. This is best accomplished here by breaking the two components rather than cutting.

Too, I think it most likely it will increase if you do nothing. It's not uncommon here for some rhizomes to initiate increase only after bloom and sometimes not until fall/winter growth starts.

Seems every individual iris has it's own distinct personality. That makes 'em grand and a lot like people.

This breaking method is not for the timid. Too, it is best to try it on some of your excess plants so you are satisfied with the potential for success before doin' something that will make you cuss me.

Me? I must have stepped on a few hundred accidentally breakin' off the central fan.

I ain't timid or real brite either. I'm just too clumsy to plant irises close as I do.

Smiles,
Bill Burleson

Yahoo! Groups Links