Re: OGB- sdlg

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: OGB- sdlg
  • From: "donald" donald@eastland.net
  • Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 16:59:32 -0000

What I wrote isn't exactly accurate, I guess.  There are those AT
LAST seedlings and those would be from an OGB- X OGB.  Also I have
four new seedlings from LIGHTS OF ARABIA X DESERT EMBROIDERY.  The
problem is that my mind won't class AT LAST or DESERT EMBROIDERY as
OGB- in the way it will most of the type.  They look more like OGB
types than those I more easily mentally slot as OGB- types.  But
germination hasn't been good from those either, but a bit better
than others.  Every year my germination rates get worse on the AB
crosses.  With only 13 seeds from LOA, it is easily my best
percentage of germination this year.  So, of course, I will keep
plodding away at attempting to get plants from the type cross.  I
can't say I'm discouraged exactly, but not really encouraged either.

Donald

>  I keep trying to use the type with ABs to get another generation
in the AB
> > direction.  Not too successful - only a single seedling so far.
I get some
> > seeds, but almost no germination.  Makes me appreciate the
hybridizers that
> > have successfully produced results using that combo of parents.
>
> Don't be discouraged.  Few seeds and low germination are typical.
But when