Re: cemetary iris - other 1st Iris for the season

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] cemetary iris - other 1st Iris for the season
  • From: "David Ferguson" manzano57@msn.com
  • Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 14:43:11 -0600
  • Seal-send-time: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 14:43:11 -0600

Not certain without more details of foliage, spathe, etc., but looks to me like a clone of I. x germanica.  Don't know how to put cultivar names on them though, there are quite a few names, and for me these names are still almost totally confusing.  Maybe of the "Vulgaris" type?????
Saw the first one of the same or similar in Albuquerque today.  Here it often has a few white streaks on the falls.
On another clone, a bit darker with the falls less spreading and often with a curved or bent stalk, I saw the 1st flower in Los Lunas today too.  None of these in my yard are open yet, but it's more open and exposed.
I do have a cute yellow pumila with about 10 flowers open today, and a different I. pumila from Iris Colorado (I'm blanking on the name) was flowering in the botanic garden in Albuquerque a couple days ago.
Had two yellow I. attica from near Athens flowering a few days ago, but they didn't overlap, and I missed both of them (no seeds - uhg).  Hoping a few more buds are hiding in there.
Not counting the 'Crimson King' I saw in Belen a few weeks ago (still in flower), since it is obviously getting some added heat off the buildings it grows next to.  The stalks made it through something around 15 F cold nearby with little damage (a few blasted flowers).