Re: my favorite AT LAST sdlg

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] my favorite AT LAST sdlg
  • From: arilbredbreeder@cs.com
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 23:00:09 EDT

In a message dated 4/11/2005 8:05:41 PM Mountain Daylight Time, donald@eastland.net writes:
So how you other folks that grow seedlings decide about them?

1.  Gardenability.  I learned this from Gene Hunt.  Most people don't coddle their iris, so if a seedling isn't tough it shouldn't be introduced.

2.  Distinctiveness.  To me, the fun of working with arilbreds is the wide variety of types, colors, patterns, and forms.  For example, this year I had a "3/8ths-bred" with prominent regelia-type beards on the inside of standards that are open enough to showcase them.  Yes, I know there's no such classification in the current system, but only time will tell whether it's an OGB- or an OGB.  Either way, it's a "keeper".

3.  Progress toward a goal.  Another example -- I'm trying to recover the wide, onco-type beards that were common on the early C.G. White introductions.  Any fertile seedling with that type of beard and other good qualities is worth holding onto as a breeder, even if not worthy of introduction.

4.  General appeal.  I always pay attention to what attracts the attention of garden visitors because different people have different tastes and what appeals to me may not appeal to others.

5.  It "speaks" to me.  Sometimes the appeal is hard to express in words.  Sometimes it takes several years to figure out whether one of these is worthy of introduction.  But, when one catches my attention for reasons I can't describe I keep it around for further evaluation.  Better than tossing it and then wondering why....

Sharon McAllister

Yahoo! Groups Links