Re: mistake/1st Edge of Eden

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] mistake/1st Edge of Eden
  • From: John I Jones jijones@usjoneses.com
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 21:11:01 -0700

On Apr 27, 2005, at 7:13 AM, Char Holte wrote:

> HI,
> I just tried something yesterday you all might be interested in.  My
> pictures are photo ready and I really hated to reduce the pixels.
> That left
> me open to the opportunity of printing the wrong one.
> So what I did was reduce the overall size of the picture.  In fact I
> made
> Burst of Blue 1 inch wide.  Then you could receive it easily and when
> you
> enlarged it the quality was still there.  Hope this helps some of you.
> Char, New Berlin, WI

There are three factors that affect the size of a photo file.

The resolution of the picture (dpi or dots per inch)
The size of the picture ( 3 X 4 inches or whatever)
The compression used to create the file

If you have a  3 X 3 inch picture that is 300 dpi, it will be the same
file size as a 6 X 6 inch picture at 150 dpi or a 12 X 12 inch picture
at 75 dpi.

A 3 X 3 inch picture at 300 dpi is a 2.32 MB file

A 3 X 3 inch picture at 150 dpi is a 593 KB file (about 1/4 th the size)

A 3 X 3 inch picture at 75 dpi is a 148 KB file (about 1/16 th the size)

A computer screen always displays pictures at 75 dpi. that means if you
send a 3 X 3 inch picture at 300 dpi to the list, it will display at 12
X 12 on the receivers screen.

If you save the file in a jpeg format, most programs will allow you to
select the level of compression you use.  The higher the compression
the lower the quality of the picture when it is viewed later and vice
versa. A lot of the programs will tell you how long it will take to
download a picture via various connection speeds at the selected
compression ratio.