Re: Re: Purple and Red Spuria seedling

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Re: Purple and Red Spuria seedling
  • From: Jan Lauritzen janicelauritzen@yahoo.com
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 12:36:43 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Donald,

These are blooming on 5th year (or about 4 1/2 because I planted the seeds in pots about August) but I did have 2 from the same group bloom last year.  This year those two are note blooming but I have had 9 bloom for the first time this year.

A couple have had 5 buds but unfortunately these two, my favorites, only have two buds each.  I am busy making crosses to spurias with 4 - 5 bud counts in hopes of getting similiar flowers but with more buds.  Unfortunately I will not know for about 4 years.

Spurias take longer than TBs but once planted seem to germinate well, grow easily, and do not seem to get leaf spot.  I can also ignore them in August and September and it makes one less area to water.  I know that some water them all year and keep them green.

I would love to figure out how to get rebloom though, so maybe I should try watering all year.  I remember that they did not die back the first summer when I was watering the pots.  Something to think about.

Jan

donald <donald@eastland.net> wrote:
Hello Jan,

These are great!  I'm glad you're posting the photos.  How long does
it take to get a spuria seedling from germination to a blooming size
plant generally.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7b, USA