Re: HYB: TB: New seedling

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: HYB: TB: New seedling
  • From: "donald" donald@eastland.net
  • Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 01:19:25 -0000

Francelle,

That looks great!  I hope it does well.

You were musing on iris-talk (not a member - just read the archives)
about branching, bud count and the weather in connection with
evaluating seedlings.  Weather certainly has an effect.  Last year,
e.g., ALPENVIEW bloomed with three stalks having 3 buds each.  No
branching.  I don't know what its supposed to have, but I'm sure
what I saw is not what it is capable of doing.  My own opinion is
that if you see good branching and bud count on a plant, whether a
seedling or a more mature plant, then that plant contains the
genetic blueprint to give those characteristics.  The conditions
required to have that plant fulfill its potential would be the
guesswork.  Under my harsh conditions, bud counts exceeding seven
buds are a waste of time.  They are miserable if they don't simply
dry up on the stalk.  Branching is a plus, but it is variable from
season to season.  Here the ability of a clump to produce stalks has
more value than high bud counts.  Some clumps produce those stalks,
some are stingy.  But a plant with four stalks having five buds
compared a similar clump only have two with eleven buds of which
only seven are going to look decent....well, you can do the math.  I
think a lot of plants with considerable merit are going to be
overlooked and not introduced, especially from areas of extreme
weather patterns, if the hybridizers get too tied to bud counts and
branching.  Neither of those in themselves guarantee a good garden
subject.

My opinion.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net