TB pasture iris

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] TB pasture iris
  • From: "Donald Eaves" donald@eastland.net
  • Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 12:13:07 -0500

I hope this post doesn't cause problems.  It's probably going to be too
large, but I wanted the series.  I apologize if it's too much.

A few years ago I had so many old grandmother rhizomes that I hated to just
toss, I took the pick-axe and threw a bunch in a sack and planted them on
the sides of the tributary draw to the Leon river.  Just chipped out a hole
among the limestone rocks and stomped them in.  They are subject to anything
and everything that might come their way.  Anything that might want to chew
them, or the cows stomping on them, or floods (these have been under 10-12
feet of water that can be moving or backed up and still when the river is
flooding).  So for the last few years they have bloomed out of context of
what I'm used to seeing, even compared to those at old house sites or those
seen in old country cemetaries.  Even knowing how they came to be there,
they are startling to me when I view them.  Like any wild bloom, in this
context they take on a special beauty that is quite a different feel than
those grown in the yard.  Today these have the advantage of a wind break.
One thing about them too, is that they haven't been subject to any diseases
as have those in the yard.  Never had leaf spot, no scorch or brown tips.
These were so successful and adapted so well, I've since gone other places
and planted some seedlings.  I'll send another post of one of those.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7b, USA

Yahoo! Groups Links

JPEG image