TB more pasture iris

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] TB more pasture iris
  • From: "Donald Eaves" donald@eastland.net
  • Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 12:22:11 -0500

This was a seedling that grew vigorously and bloomed freely, so I took some
rhizomes and planted them inside the bank channels of the Leon river.  It's
usually a dry river, but when it floods it can get about 1/8 mile across
carrying whole trees and tons of debris.  Water gaps are a pain!  So these
have been under 10-20 feet of flood waters more than once.  The soil is
probably river silt held in place by roots.  There is a limestone
outcropping well above where they are plante and another one at the floor of
the stream bed, but I doubt there is much leaching where these are growing.
Their health astounds me.  I plant them and forget them.  These are on such
a steep slope that I fell once trying to take the photos.  Fortunately, the
camera was unhurt and I just smashed a finger and skinned my arm.  It's
curious to me how well they've done.  This is the third year for this
seedling, the grandmother iris have been in place about seven years now and
are forming colonies.

Just for fun.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7b, USA