Re: TB more pasture iris

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: TB more pasture iris
  • From: "donald" donald@eastland.net
  • Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 18:54:32 -0000

Griff,

>  --  I hope you've done other things with that seedling besides
> putting it out to pasture.

Not really.  It's growing here at the house because of its agreeable
tendency to give me prolific bloom.  I'm interested in garden plants
rather than show stalks, so the ability to provide lots of bloom
stalks is reason for forgiving lots of other things about a bloom.

>The texture of the petals
> appears to be soft, rather than glossy or neutral.

My picture must be better than I thought!  Yes, that was a
characteristic of the results of this cross.  That velvet aspect
even extended to the standards.  There were a couple of siblings
that had a color I preferred, but they were second year germinates
from the cross and haven't been quite as aggressive with increase
though they've done well.  They haven't been put out to pasture
yet :).

>These appear to be growing
> in semi-shade, and I wonder if they would be as tall if growing in
full
> un.

Not too much shade here.  The grandmother iris get a bit more.  The
canopy of the elm trees aren't broad here so there is considerable
sun.  Not enough to affect height, I think.  Those in the yard are
about the same height.  The seedling has been consistant in getting
into TB range height on bloomstalks.

For inquiring minds the cross is RUSTLER X SATAN'S MISTRESS -
neither of which are inclined to give the quantity of increase the
seedlings from the cross have displayed.  RUSTLER crowds the
bloomout zone every year, so has never really made a decent clump,
just 1-3 fans with a single or two increase usually.  SATAN'S
MISTRESS is a slow, albeit steady, increaser for me.  Both do have a
tendency to bloom every season.

Donald

Yahoo! Groups Links