Re: TB: More Pasture Iris

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: TB: More Pasture Iris
  • From: "donald" donald@eastland.net
  • Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 19:06:56 -0000

> Are these growing on your place?

Most definitely!  Locations of these iris are just out somewhere on
160 acres.  I now have others growing here and there.  A couple more
seedlings and the old AB ZWANENBURG.  None blooming at the moment
and some of the newer planted ones probably won't this year.  And
it's nothing at all like British Columbia.  I wish!  Hot, windy,
temperature seesaws and drought conditons for the last year.  Lots
and lots of bugs with unpleasant natures and every other plant has
thorns or stings.  Iris survive and a lot of garden plants under my
conditions, even with my help, simply can't handle it here.

>If someone just happened to see them during a walk they would be

Yeah, but then they want to 'rescue' them.  They'd rather save one
of these than have be give them one from the yard :).

>  The seedling is beautiful.  I wonder if the site is similar to
where the original iris came from?

I really doubt it.  I think the pollen parent, SATAN'S MISTRESS came
from a hot area with red clay soil in New Mexico, so it would be
from a similar climate and soil.  The pod parent RUSTLER, is a
Keppel iris and his growing conditions would be really different.

>Does the flooding have anything to do with no disease?

I can't answer that.  I wish I knew the answer, too.  I really doubt
the flooding would be the reason.

Yahoo! Groups Links