HIST: TB: ?pallida pink?

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] HIST: TB: ?pallida pink?
  • From: Linda Mann lmann@volfirst.net
  • Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 17:31:30 -0400

A more accurate subject line might be "what in the world...."

Never have seen this bloom before.  It's in the oldest "permanent" row
in the garden, growing among the seedlings from my 2nd TB cross - I.
pallida X mixed pollen from nearly everything that had pollen.

I don't believe it.

When I bought this place ~35 yrs ago, there were a few heirloom irises
here - I. pallida, HONORABILE, a dwarf/intermediate white, I. germanica,
something I'm pretty sure is RHEINGAUPERLE, the unknown gray/blue that
Neil Mogensen and I keep trying to ID, and a pallida pink.  I thought I
threw the pallida pink away or it dwindled to nothing - I thought it was
the ugliest iris I'd ever seen (yes, kicking myself years later).

Seeing this makes me wonder...

My memory of it is that it was very short - the stalk on this one is
over 4 ft tall.  Height doesn't mean a lot, since it varies so much from
year to year, but no pallida has ever been <this> tall here. And I don't
remember such bushy tangerine beards on the old pallida pink that was
here. Plus this one has larger floppier flowers than I. pallida -
generally the form of this thing is much more like the other pallida
seedlings.  Plus I thought the one I lost was more uniformly colored,
tho still on the muddy side.

For those of you who grow "real" pallida pinks, are they diploid?  Do
they look like this?

The colors are a bit off in these photos - it's more of a "uniform"
blotchy mud pink than it appears in the photo..

--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

Yahoo! Groups Links