Re: HYB: HIST: TB: ?seedling/pallida pink?

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: HYB: HIST: TB: ?seedling/pallida pink?
  • From: "donald" donald@eastland.net
  • Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 23:41:56 -0000

At least you know how to spell dandelion.  I knew mine was wrong but
couldn't come up with the correct spelling and was too lazy to
bother looking it up.  Dandelions here aren't even plants yet, much
less bloomed enough to have seed heads.  I actually like the blooms
and seed heads on the dang things. They may take a year off with the

> but how in the world would a tangerine pink seedling come from a
> generation cross with I. pallida?

Well, are you sure what you have is pallida and not some cross of a
pallida?  Is it the one you sent me a few years back?  That one
usually goes completely dormant (or nearly) in winter and is one of
the last iris to break dormancy in the spring - just barely ahead of
the variegated pallida I grow.  Both tend to bloom in the last third
of the bloom season.  Slightly ahead of those that are really late,
but after peak bloom here which occurs on mid-season bloomers
(usually - in a semi-normal year).  Peak bloom might occur here
earlier but early bloom is always affected by late freezes to some
degree.  That would put the pallida clearly in the late blooming
category.  The I. germanicas are early, very early.  Sometimes all
their bloom is eliminated by late freezes.  Due to the drought, I
doubt any of the pallidas will attempt to bloom this year.  No sign
of it, anyway.

Yahoo! Groups Links