Re: 403-A an SDB surprise

  • Subject: [PHOTO] Re: [iris-photos] 403-A an SDB surprise
  • From: petalpusherpaul@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 19:27:55 EDT

In a message dated 4/20/2006 6:20:18 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, avmoran1@earthlink.net writes:
Do you cross it with one that does not have the branching/bud better flower color?
Where do you go from here?
    I always try to cross good branching with good branching.  With this, I love the flower as is, but it is true, no flower is safe in my garden unless it proves itself as a good breeding Iris.
A good branching quality is a requirement......  I always try to cross back to one of the original parents and since the seedling (Prank x ( Chanted x Fairy Lore)) was lost when I moved my garden to the south, and also since there was one last lonely little blossom left on Chanted, well, I used that.  ;)  Chanted is a fantastic parent and sends out many color combos....If you look closely at the rim of 403-A you will see a small ring of color that some of the nicer things from Chanted are beginning to carry on to some seedlings.  Just like Blyths Terse Verse which came about from a line which  includes Chanted  in its lineage.
Paul Hill