HYB:Seedling variations

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos]HYB:Seedling variations
  • From: Autmirislvr@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 09:22:02 EDT

In a message dated 4/21/2006 5:24:07 A.M. Central Standard Time, lmann@volfirst.net writes:
<<The one thing that doesn't seem to change much is petal width and
shape.  Color hasn't varied much for most of my seedlings so far.>>

 Sorry, sent it to the wrong list.

Linda, I see variations in EVERYTHING.  Not so much petal shape!  But I guess the variations in form, width, and color are probably the most difficult to explain to the newer iris growers.  (not you!!)

It shows up more in some colors than others.  (I think)  Application can be so variable depending on so many things.  And it's not just with the maiden bloom.  As an example I'm going to post a new picture (attached) of 1509-3re, taken just this morning.  To compare to the one I posted earlier this week.

Today is cooler and getting ready to rain again.  The fall lines in 1509-3re were almost invisible in the earlier picture and the standard were a great deal lighter.  I hope this shows up in the picture.  I was shocked at the difference.

In addition RADIANT BLISS is blooming this spring with a smaller bloom and more intense color in the darker applications.  Hard to figure why, but so far it's also not as pretty to my eyes as it is in the fall garden.

Most of the rebloomers have smaller blooms than in the fall garden.  Same is true for 1812-1re.  Although it is still one of my top 5-10 out of the entire 100+ that I've seen bloom.

But, of course these are all irises I've seen before, and (think) I know what to expect.

We get an 'average' or 'normal' look.  Eventually!

If you don't cross them, you can't  plant them!
Betty W. in South-central KY Zone 6 ---
Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website:
Reblooming Iris - Home Page
iris-photos archives