Re: TABRIZ (Kidd '83)

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: TABRIZ (Kidd '83)
  • From: "donald" donald@eastland.net
  • Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 13:50:28 -0000

Hello Bill,

> Can anybody confirm or refute the ID of this one?

I'm inclined to think it's not TABRIZ.  I posted a photo 4/04 that's
in the archives.  If you compare it I think you'll see why.  Your
photo doesn't show the fine veining in the standards and falls and the
form is different.  Can't be sure, of course, but it just doesn't look
right based on how it bloomed for me.

>Checklist makes no
> mention of the purple spots in the falls... Otherwise, sounds close
> enough. Haven't I read something about viruses causing spots?

I think Christy is correct that it's weather related.  Those plants
that have a tendency to show the markings tend to have them
considerably more pronounced when the weather has been cool and
moist.  In dry, warmer seasons there aren't many to see.  It wasn't
notable here this year at all.  I've also noted that when they do
occur, the whole bloom otherwise has richer colors.  It's sure more
extreme in some cultivars than in others.  Even a very few TBs can
show it, but it's always the same ones.  I don't think it's a virus,
but an effect of weather causing the color pigments to show up in that
manner.  My opinion.  Sometimes I find it objectionable and sometimes
an enhancement depending on the cultivar.  Works great on JAZZ BABY.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7b, USA

Yahoo! Groups Links