Darkest Day in Iris Gardening

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] Darkest Day in Iris Gardening
  • From: matbeach1@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 20:22:13 EDT

I suppose I seek a bit of an emotional boost from you here.

About two months ago, the new landscape (grass cutting/weeding) people in my housing division sprayed Round Up in my beds. After raising Cane and writing a letter to the board, it was communicated to the landscapers that anything they killed in my yard, they would replace. Apparently, many other people complained and they got the boot last week, but they decided today, their final day to pay me special attention. One of them took a weed eater and hacked half of one of my iris beds like a massacre. The Creative Vision, Ripple Effect, and Golden Panther I posted the other day were hacked off and thrown into a clump of pampas grass. Pieces of flowers were everywhere. It was sickening.

I have plenty of other irises they didn't affect, but I know that all of you know what hard work, energy and spirit goes into this activity -- not to mention heart.

I will continue posting pictures of irises which bloom here, but Linda's Child, Golden Panther, Ripple Effect, Shore Patrol, Bel Esprit, Carnival Ride, and Creative Vision are all gone for this year.

John e-mailed me that my attachments were too large. I am sorry; this picture of what is left of Golden Panther is the correct size.

Mike in Myrtle Beach, SC, Zone 8

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

JPEG image