Re: haft question - AB seedling

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: haft question - AB seedling
  • From: "donald" donald@eastland.net
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 01:46:27 -0000

Lowell,

> It looks like your seedling is a carrier of the dominant anthocyanin
inhibitor gene, or "I-Gene".   Irises carrying this gene will be
white, yellow, pink or orange (carotene pigment) with little or no
purple anthocyanin pigment in the hafts or elsewhere.

If it's dominant, then it should be apparent in one of the parents,
shouldn't it?  It's not going to be the AB parent, DESERT MOONLIGHT.
That leaves the TB, ROYAL TARA as the carrier.  Didn't bloom this
year, but I guess looking at my photo it could be.  Also, RT has MARY
McCLELLAN as the pollen parent and it's an even purple and RT is a
cream.  But RT still has sort of greenish yellow lines on the
shoulders and a lavender tipped beard.  What would happen if I used it
again as a pod parent, but used a purple AB as the pollen parent?
Would the "I-Gene" be dominant enough to more or less eliminate the
anthocyanin from seedlings that inherited the gene?  Or do aril genes
always work exactly the same when matched with TB genes?

Donald

Yahoo! Groups Links