Re: HB: TB: Garden presence

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] HB: TB: Garden presence
  • From: "David Ferguson" manzano57@msn.com
  • Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 12:02:31 -0600
  • Seal-send-time: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 12:02:31 -0600

Actually the Canons have this same method of focus and zoom.  The Attachment is a metal ring that extends beyond the reach of the lense, and the filters are screwed on beyond the reach of the lense (about 1.75 inches, with the filter, on a Canon PowerShot).  Seems a bit low tech, but it works.  If you leave it on all the time, it makes the camera a tight fit in a little camera bag for digitals though.  I don't know if this is so for the Sonys, but many things are similar between Sony and Canon.  On the Canon and some of the others, there is a little button adjacent to the lense (usually lower left) which releases a little metal ring that has little purpose beyond decoration (perhaps keeps some dust out).  The metal ring will twist off just like the lenses of most SLR cameras, and then you can twist on the adapter (or other lenses that are designed for the particular camera).
Pearl's suggestion doesn't seem to work well on my cameras, because they readjust to what they are looking at as you move them, and it's hard to keep the focus and the exposure settings and still keep the flower in focus when you change locations.  Even so, I'm going to try harder to follow it, because the polarizer doesn't always fool the camera.
Thanks Pearl,