Re: Re: AB: CHILDSONG X ZERZURA

  • Subject: Re: Re: AB: CHILDSONG X ZERZURA
  • From: Jan Lauritzen <janicelauritzen@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2007 14:52:35 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Donald,

Is there a median classification for ABs?  I seem to remember something but am not sure.  If your shorter bloom is sturdy and as beautiful as they look, why not go for it.  Create a class if need be.

Would they grow in So. Calif. in my "desert"?  The problem I have growing SDB and IBs is that they don't get cold enough to bloom much.  I have had 2 IBs bloom this year and none of the 40 or so SDBs even thought about it.  BB, TB, Spurias and LAs are all very happy.  I don't even try to grow MTBs.  And Siberians seem to hate my yard.

I used to have a several ABs.  WIndshadows, Sharrifa, and Fancy Work all did well for a few years and then seemed to just taper off and disappear.  I think I still have some Sharrifa.
A few others grew a couple of years but never bloomed.

I envy the beautiful blooms that you post.  Please keep it up.

Jan in Chatsworth

donald <donald@eastland.net> wrote:
Hello Jan,

Three stalks - and more to go. The stalks are about 14" tall, the
bloom probably 3" or less. I usually am aiming for at least the lower
end of TB height in my AB stalks. CHILDSONG is smaller and I think
this will probably settle in around the same size. It will probably be
smaller in subsequent seasons. Much shorter and smaller than any of
the other seedlings blooming this year. Really good stalks here -
straight and sturdy.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7b, USA