Re: Unusual Growth of bloom

  • Subject: Re: Unusual Growth of bloom
  • From: Jan Lauritzen <janicelauritzen@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 15:46:54 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Linda,

I usually have 2 to 4 which cannot seem to escape from their leaves or spaths.  I just pot them open otherwise they keep bending more and more sideways and do not make very nice flowers once they finally escape.  Also, occasionally, the top of the spath covering the flower will be either very tight or will dry out and not want to break open.  A little help goes a long way.  Probably would never make a show bench iris stalk but nice enough for the garden.  I haven't noticed it happening on the same cultivar over and over.  Just seems to happen randomly.  Maybe the weather is a factor?  Or the iris stem/bud grows so fast and the rest doesn't keep up?

Jan in Chatsworth

Linda Smith <irisgrower@cableone.net> wrote:

This is 2nd iris I've seen like this.  It appears to have trouble getting through the leaf bearing it.
I've just taken and split the leaf just enough so bloom can open .
  • Am I just now aware of this and it is normal but I've just never caught it in its' act.???

Unusual Growth of bloom (4
Unusual Growth of bloo

Linda in AZ
Add FUN to your email - CLICK HERE!