AB: broken color seedling

  • Subject: AB: broken color seedling
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 21:41:23 -0500

This has been around here for a while and is having a good year. I have a
question. In TBs, isn't a broken color pattern usually associated with
plicata genes? I occasionally get broken color patterns on AB seedlings,
usually the TB X AB types. Here the cross is GAY STRIPES X HEART STEALER.
It's one of my experimental crosses, but my experiement didn't include
broken color patterns! I have a yellow streaked with white seedling
blooming this year- even the styles are streaked. That one also has the
streaked white foliage that usually doesn't survive to bloom, but it's the
second one that has and both have broken color blooms. I have another
variegated foliaged seedling from another cross that should bloom if nothing
happens (like a possible freeze this week). I'm going to look for the trait
in the bloom. I think something else may be at work besides plic genes in
some of these.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7b, USA