Re: AB: broken color seedling

  • Subject: Re: AB: broken color seedling
  • From: irischapman@aim.com
  • Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2007 19:08:16 -0400

The more I explore the Broken colour and plicata  genetics the more complecated the scenerio appears. Some people would not call Gay Stripes a plicata type, but I have been doing so and will stand by that. based on how it has performed in breeding.

Often the only difference between  something like Gay Strioes and a "clasic" plicata is the absence of anthocyanin in the centre of the petal.  I'm beginning to suspect that this(presence or absence of colour in certral part of petal) is under a seperate genetic control then the plicata alleles, even though it is often associated with it. I further suspect that what is reffered to as the plicata genes is basically producing the stripes as in Gay Stripes and that this same gene is producing these same stripes in other types  of iris, such as in arils, only it is not referred to as plicata as it does not have the gene to remove anthocyanin from the centre of the petals.

In addition, the gene producing the broken colour pattern may not be on a plicata  allele but on another gene, but expresses itself only in  presence of the  four sets of the "plicata"  genes and alleles.

I keep gathering data but in my climate  I often don't get enough data from any cross (weather attrition)  to fully analysis it.

If anyone wishes to help out by gathering data, let me know. I'm looking at plicata crosses  of a classic  plicata with one with centre coloured, broken colour crosses, zonal crosses etc. What I need is a set of pictures of all the seedlings in the cross.

Anyone wishing to help out let me know. Several people have  already volunteered, but  the more data the better.

Chuck Chapman

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Top Scientist