Re: Fw: [iris]CULT:Wipe Out!

  • Subject: Re: Fw: [iris]CULT:Wipe Out!
  • From: Autmirislvr@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2007 13:30:41 EDT

In a message dated 4/8/2007 12:03:47 P.M. Central Daylight Time, jgcrump@cox.net writes:
<<At the > garden plots which David Stoll, president of our Chesapeake and Potomac
> Iris Society, and I lease, vandals wrecked about half of the gardens last
> month.>>
Any chance it's a personal grudge?
It's hard to figure people doing that much damage without reason.  (Not that a grudge is a good reason!)
About hybridizing and seasons--not wanting to whine . . .
but, if the newly germinated seedlings are destroyed, most of two years of hybridizing are lost!  Both last year and this year.  I counted my indoor pots again and I have only 6 indoors with approximately 80 seedlings.  Indoor conditions doesn't seem to please them either!
When I removed the straw from the pots, I simply peeled/lifted the wire off and laid it to one side with the straw intact.  It was a relatively easy, if cold, job to replace the covering on the pots.  Catch is, most of the seedlings are three inches tall or more, now.  Some damage is expected with the very best possible scenario, but understanding that damaged is better than destroyed.
Good recovery to all!
Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website:
Reblooming Iris - Home Page
iris-photos archives