Re: CULT: weather

  • Subject: Re: CULT: weather
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@cox.net>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 22:36:37 -0500

Well, Barb, I don't know what to tell you.  It's a first for me, too  --  at least seeing so many of the center leaves falling that it's really noticeable.  The center leaf, of course, is the growth leaf.  I'm inclined to just leave them alone until and unless they begin to shrivel.  Then, I'd probably trim them, but only enough to eliminate the droop.
I've never encountered a tulip that smelled "yucky".  Maybe it's just a matter of different tastes.  What I have found is that many people are surprised to learn that tulips have any fragrance.  What I don't find is the variety (and in some cases near-absence) of fragrances that iris possess.   Tulips seem to me to have nearly identical fragrance, some stronger and some fainter.  I'm afraid I can't tell you their names, except for Red Emperor.  They've been in the garden so long that I have forgotten them.  But that brings up another facet of tulipness:  Some folks contend that tulips must be replenished every year or two, because they dwindle away.  Well, not here.  Here, they make larger and larger clumps, year by year in good garden soil.  I'll grant that some varieties proliferate more than others, and some may eventually play out, but that's true with our irises, also.  --  Griff