Re: SDB Ice Pink

  • Subject: Re: SDB Ice Pink
  • From: "irischap" <irischapman@aim.com>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 19:10:43 -0000

This is indeed a nice photo of an snow resistant flower.

I do differ with you re interpreting the genetics of this. I view
Infanta as having four sets of the tangerine gene that is tttt.
As well as with all oranges it also has four sets of a recessive
yellow gene that seems to only be associated with the orange iris.
(research still pending) that I will call , for the time being
"alternate yellow", and label it ya, so that Infanta is tttt yayayaya.

To check this out further I would suggest that you either grind up an
Infanta petal in methyl alcohol and filter it. As lycopene is only
partially soluble in alcohol, the residue would show the typical
lycopene pink colour. An alternative would be to boil an intact petal
of Infanta in methyl alcohol, this will reveal the underlying lycopene.

Thus Infanta X a pink, will produce all flowers with lycopene. If
Girl Pixie doesn't have any ya genes then all the seedlings will be
pink. Of course there are the anthocyanin genes in Infanta which,
depending on the mix of anthocyanin genes in Girl Pixie, will show in
various ways.

Thus when we have a cross of two orange iris, we have a cross of tttt
yayayaya X tttt yayayaya and thus all the offspring will be tttt
yayayaya and thus orange.

I have not seen any evidence that would convince me that there is a
seperate gene for orange, or that it is anything other then a mix of
yellow and lycopene.

Please feel free to send any information you have (evidence, not
theory) that there is a gene for orange, that can not be explained by
what I have outlined above.

Check the colour of the rest of the seedlings in this cross.

Chuck Chapman

--- In iris-photos@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Meckenstock" <dmeck@...> wrote:
> This special SDB ice pink is the product of years of breeding and,
of course, divine intervention. Last night while I was sleeping the
skies opened up and miraculously turned this early bird into an ice
pink. Note the exceptional cold tolerance of this seedling. If this is
not proof intelligent design then I do not know what is. I think I
will release this little miracle for use in Barrow Alaska--call it
> On a more serious note, this seedling is an F1 derived from the
cross (Infanta x Girl Pixie). Where Infanta is a light orange glaciata
and Girl Pixie is pink. We know from this F1 that the genotype of
Infanta is heterozygous TTtt, and homozygous oooo where T promotes the
conversion of lycopene into beta-carotene and 'o' blocks the
conversion of orange beta-carotene into yellow zeaxanthin. It is quite
possible that Infanta's TTtt genotype reduces its concentration of
beta-carotene thus producing its light orange appearance.
> Girl Pixie is pink and carries the tttt genotype.

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Top Scientist

10 Greatest Ever