Re: AB: broken color seedling

  • Subject: Re: AB: broken color seedling
  • From: "irischap" <irischapman@aim.com>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 19:20:06 -0000

I hve seen crosses of Gay Stripes with plicatas by three different
people, and in all cases it performs exactly as we would expect a
plicata to perform. In this case the plicata would be one like Circus
Stripes, Autumn circus etc.

As our knowledge of plicata has advanced, we now recognize those
flowers with dots and stripes in centre of flowers as plicata.
Previously these were not so recognized and labeled. I suspect having
the classic plicata patern involves a seperate gene preventing
anthocyanin in the centre ofthe flower. I further suspect that this
gene that prevents anthocynain in centre of flower is unique to
bearded iris, but not including arils. Thus the patern is not
generally recognized in other flowers.

We now also recognize plicatas that have anthocyanin only in centre of
the flower , such as Ring Around Rosie.

Chuck Chapman

--- In iris-photos@yahoogroups.com, "Donald Eaves" <donald@...> wrote:

> Thanks Chuck,
>
> How aril genes work in conjunction with other bearded genes is always a
> question. It may be that what they have works in a similar manner
to plic
> genes, but isn't the exact thing. How did you arrive a classifying GAY
> STRIPES as a plicata? It parentage is listed as two unknown
oncobreds. It
> was eventually given an AB classification by the ASI folks
indicating it was
> an AABB type. I will say that many of the seedlings that have
turned up the
> broken colors have had a plicata parent, but not all the seedlings
exhibited
> broken color. I used TIGER HONEY once and most, but not every
seedling,
> gave some broken color patterns. Sometimes it seems to be only
slight. The
> attached seedling shows the broken color pattern and it came via
GREENAN
> CASTLE X TATAI PASHA. GC is pink and not a plicata. The seedling also
> turned up variegated foliage. Of course there are also bearded
genes at
> work from the AB side of the cross. It would take a lot of digging to
> determine how much, if any, plic genes were involved from that end.
Since
> TATAI PASHA is a C.G. White AB, the non-aril side will be unknown.
It was
> suggested on this forum that the old 'butterfly' pattern was also a
type of
> plic _expression_. The progenitor of many of those older
'butterflies' is
> 'Butterfly Wings' New seedlings this year of 'Butterfly Wings' X TCHA
> 'DEETCH produced stripes - lots of stripes - but no hint of broken
color.

> I wouldn't be surprised to find aril genes that are similar to some
in other
> beardeds. There may be slight differences in them, though, that
give huge
> differences in _expression_.
>
> Donald Eaves
> donald@...