Re: SDB Ice Pink

  • Subject: Re: SDB Ice Pink
  • From: "Dan Meckenstock" <dmeck@eaglecom.net>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 15:38:04 -0000

I am surprised at your comments since I am unaware of a double
homozygous recessive genotype in the carotenoid pathway producing any
color other than that of the first loci being blocked. I assume `t'
precedes `ya' in your pathway and in which case the (tttt, ya ya ya
ya) genotype would have a pink phenotype or lycopene would be the
dominant color.

If you are finding lycopene in an orange flower it is because not all
of the lycopene is converted into beta-carotene which, when
beta-carotene is the predominant carotenoid, makes the flower orange.
Recall, lycopene is the substrate for beta-carotene. Thus, there will
always be lycopene in orange and yellow flowers at trace levels.

Also, if the orange genotype is (tttt, yayayaya) then what is the pink
genotype? You say Girl Pixie doesn't have any ya genes, isn't that the
same as saying the ya locus is homozygous recessive? As presented,
your genetic explanation does not explain the difference between pink
and orange.

The best evidence I have right now that orange has its own gene is the
simple fact that orange flowers exist. Also, Aitken and other authors
in the AIS literature have stated orange is a recessive trait. Since,
their claim is consistent with the carotenoid pathway as it is
understood today, I agree with them.

On another note, the AIS chose the symbol `o' for the orange break in
1961. I suggest you not make any changes to the nomenclature by adding
ya until you can show how it relates to the pathway. There are already
too many half baked ideas in iris genetics.

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Top Scientist

10 Greatest Ever