Re: SDB Ice Pink

  • Subject: Re: SDB Ice Pink
  • From: "irischap" <irischapman@aim.com>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 22:37:17 -0000

Iâ??m sending a photo of a pigment extraction of Thai Orange, with a
before and after photo of a fall. I may have to send this photo in a
separate response. When you look at the photo you will see that the
amount of lycopene is significant, probably as much as the darkest
lycopene pink iris. Not trace amounts, and significantly more then the
amount in apricot or peach flowers. My â??Kitchen chemistryâ?? methods are
not able to pick up on trace amounts as it is more of a tape measure
measurement, not a micrometer. I have found that the yellow in orange
flowers to be a recessive gene and completely independent of lycopene
and regular carotene inheritance. This is based on an analysis of many
crosses involving these pigments. We can get a yellow with red beard,
such as Throb (many other examples). These prove to be recessive in
breeding, and crossing with a pink will produce all pink seedlings as
long as there are none of relevant recessive genes present.

As the ya and t genes are on separate loci, and not alleles, the one
is not dominant or recessive to the other, but completely independent.
You will not have read anything about this in the literature for the
simple reason that I have not published anything yet. I will at some
point, but need to follow up with a few more test crosses so when I
publish I can describe its action in more detail. I have discussed
this alternative yellow gene here and on iris-talk, so you can look up
the information in the archives for more information and details.

I didnâ??t say Girl Pixie doesnâ??t have any ya genes, I said that if it
doesnâ??t have any ya genes that there would only be pink carotene
(lycopene) in any offspring of the cross you made. With the
alternative yellow, and tttt we have orange. With only one Ya gene we
then have pink flowers. (This is not considering the recessive
reduction of cartenoid gene which produces the white with red beard)

To say that there is an â??orangeâ?? gene because there are orange flowers
is the same as saying that there is a red gene because there are red
flowers, a purple gene as there are purple flowers, a brown gene as
there are brown flowers etc etc. All of these are wrong of course, so
evidence requires some genetic test results. What would you expect
from a cross of orange X pink without any of your theoretical â??oâ??
genes? I would expect all pink offspring, such as you got so far with
your cross.

The AIS never chose the â??oâ?? symbol for the orange break. You are
referring to the book by Vallette, that was independently published,
not an AIS publication. There are lots of things published by AIS
members, that does not make them â??officialâ?? AIS position, even if they
are published as an article in the AIS Bulletin. If ther is any
official designation of gene it would be The World Of Iris, and there
is no discussion of orange genetics there.

There is an advantage to hybridizing as then you can observe results
yourself and collect data. I suggest you need to do some test crosses
with orange flowers to test out your ideas further. Theory does need
to be grounded in facts and observation. We do indeed have enough half
baked ideas that do not have experimental or scientific backing. That
is why I waited until I had some good evidence before discussing the
â??alternative yellowâ?? and why I will wait for some more test crosses
before publishing. I would like it if everyone was a carefull with
their theories

Chuck Chapman

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group