Re: AB: broken color seedling

  • Subject: Re: AB: broken color seedling
  • From: "irischap" <irischapman@aim.com>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 22:54:57 -0000

I can't even speculate on that, sorry.

I can say that with broken colour, that as far as I can tell, the
transposon is probably not in one of the plicata genes, but in some
other gene, but the plicata genes need to be present. Thus, there
could be some BC plants that do not have four plicata genes, but as
you have commented, a similar funtion gene.

The BC plants seem to have at least one glaciata and one luminata
allele. I'm not sure what this is all about.

Transposon genes sometimes come in pairs, an activator gene (Ac) and a
disrupter gene (Ds). This seems to often be the way with various
broken colour patterns in corn seeds and in various species of
flowers. Thus it possible that something of the sort happens in iris.
I'm not positive, but I think that sometimes the Ac and the Ds
elements can be on different genes.

I hope this clarified instead of just confusing evverthing

Chuck Chapman

--- In iris-photos@yahoogroups.com, "donald" <donald@...> wrote:

> Thanks Chuck,
>
> Any idea whether GAY STRIPES is accurately described as an AABB type
> plant? When I first started I was of the opinion that it was more
> likely to be ABBB. It really hasn't been cooperative in producing pods
> and the only time it did I got three full pods using HEART STEALER.
> Germination was low, but not reduced to a single plant either, so I
> never drew any conclusions.
>
> Donald

__._,_.___
Recent Activity