Re: CULT: weather and germination

  • Subject: Re: CULT: weather and germination
  • From: mike theissen <miketheissen@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 06:06:50 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Griff       Wish I could say the same but unfortunately after 6 freezes 3 of 21' and 15' temps I have more damage to my iris this year than I've seen in the last 30 years combined. On the talls the majority had the center leaf in the fans mushed. My sdb's had just started and it appears to have stopped them dead none of them have shown any comeback yet. The Ib's appear to have lost all flowers as well. My siberians and species were hit hard .Acouple of the species appear to be mushed fans to the ground. The only ones that seem to look ok are my mtbs. A little early to be certain if they suffered major damage. My seedlings so far had just started to germinate and the little plants appear to be ok.   We had frost here this morning again but the temp is 30' so not so bad. I hope that spring will return soon and with a little luck maybe some of the more hardy will still give some bloom for the late season part. Hope that more people had the better luck with their Iris like you did than the severe damage like mine.               Mike

"J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@cox.net> wrote:

With a lot of relief, I can report that the several freezing nights and ice storm here don't seem to have done any damage to the SDBs, except that some are blooming very close to the ground.  Still, the bloom is 9 days later than it was last year, and the current cold days, cutting wind and rain, and a projected week of more of the same promise to delay bloom even more.
Happily, I have some germination in all of the crosses made last year; however, the overall germination rate looks like it's going to be much less than usual.  A blessing in disguise, perhaps, since I wouldn't have room to accommodate them all if it were a normal year.  That said, the least germination is occurring in some of the most prized crosses, which is a disappointment,  The pots had been uncovered when the freezes hit, and germination seems virtually to have stopped at that point.  Maybe some warm days may produce some more?  I'll have to check with others here in Region 4 to see what their germination rate turns out to be.  Generally, we experience similar results.  It has made me think that there may be cycles or other factors affecting iris seed germination that occur without regard to the weather in the sprouting year.  --  Griff

Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Top Scientist