IB: Hybridizing Intermediates

Hi all,

I'm updating my Intermediates list, which might take awhile as I'm putting
in all the IBs registered in the R&Is from 2000 to 2006. I'm a little crazy
about these midsize guys and noticed that more and more people are working
with them, and there are more and more that are fertile. Here's the stats in
the R&Is so far:

2000 = 36
2001 = 37
2002 = 44
2003 = 44
2004 = 35
2005 = 68
2006 = 66

After all the hard freezes we had, the irises in the little South Bed up
against the house are starting to bloom again. PROTOCOL just opened a bloom
today, and there are more stalks in the clump. Just behind it is CLARENCE
with 6 buds. Both are pod instead of pollen fertile so I can't cross them. I
had bloom before the freezes but didn't cut and bring in the stalks, so
that's my loss. Same with the bed up against the house on the East side. But
it's recovering too. We had a couple of inches of rain over the weekend but
today is perfect weather-wise so I'm eager to get out and mow. If I do trim
the foliage I think I'll wait till the end of the week and see what really
needs it. The Main Bed for sure. But Linda's right, I shouldn't cut them,
just pull off the dead foliage. That might not show up for a couple of
weeks, come to think of it...but whenever. I had kept the beds clean over
the winter so this is all new growth.

Down in the Main Bed, down the hill from the back yard where it's cold, all
the foliage has fallen flat. But I felt a stalk in a GOLDEN BOW (IB HIST)
plant. It's almost always the first to bloom in that bed and has made a big
clump in the last several years. The bed was made in 1997 so those irises
have stood the test of time except for the ones I planted in this
Millennium.

My potted seedlings on the front porch are in fine shape.

I had several SDBs bloom before the freezes but not enough to suit me! I
noticed that RED HEART looks different here than in the picture Judy Book
posted, but maybe it's just the soil here. The official description mentions
lavender standards, but mine were just a nice cream, with matching fall
bands. Love it anyhow.

By the way, that was a great poem, Griff!

Here's to a great week of recovery, folks!

Barb Johnson mailto:barbjohnson_62@hotmail.com
Near Springfield, SW Missouri USA
AIS, DIS, HIPS, MIS, RIS, TBIS, ISO
USDA Zone 5b AIS Region 18 (KS & MO)